By Dan Isaac Slobin
Carrying on with the culture of this sequence, which has turn into a customary reference paintings in language acquisition, quantity four comprises chapters on 3 extra languages/language groups--Finnish, Greek, and Korean. The chapters are selective, serious reports instead of exhaustive summaries of the process improvement of every language. Authors method the language in query as a case examine in a possible crosslinguistic typology of acquisitional difficulties, contemplating these facts which give a contribution to problems with common theoretical predicament in developmental psycholinguistics and linguistic thought. every one bankruptcy, accordingly, presents the subsequent:
* Grammatical cartoon of Language. short grammatical caricature of the language or language team, proposing these linguistic proof that are proper to the developmental research.
* Sources of Evidence. precis of easy assets of proof, characterizing equipment of accumulating facts, and directory key references.
* Overall process Development. short precis of the general process improvement within the language or language workforce, giving an concept of the final difficulties posed to the kid in buying a language of this kind, summarizing commonplace mistakes, domain names of really error-free acquisition, and the timing of acquisition--areas of the grammar that express really precocious or not on time improvement in crosslinguistic standpoint.
* Data. particular developmental elements of the language tested extensive, looking on every one person language and on hand acquisition facts.
* Conclusions. An interpretive precis of theoretical issues raised above, getting to common ideas of language improvement and linguistic association recommended by means of the learn of a language of this kind, plus comparisons with improvement of different languages.
Read or Download The Crosslinguistic Study of Language Acquisition: Volume 4 PDF
Best communication & journalism books
Even if in scientific perform, study, schooling or deepest perform, speech-language pathologists and audiologists have to comprehend the influence of moral concerns surrounding their professions. by means of proposing moral dilemmas within the context of genuine or hypothetical case situations, Ethics for Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists: An Illustrative Casebook, may also help you to acknowledge and strategy moral dilemmas with an organization realizing.
PUBLIC talking: THE EVOLVING paintings is the 1st e-book and built-in know-how package deal to fulfill the expectancies of latest scholars whereas either keeping and providing leading edge diversifications at the well-respected traditions of public talking guideline. in the course of the textual content, readers enjoy the examples of 4 peer mentors--real those who have effectively accomplished the general public conversing course--via brief video segments designed to carry techniques and methods to existence.
International hyperlink is a center sequence for younger adult/adult rookies of English from the low-beginning to high-intermediate point. Combining dynamic vocabulary with crucial grammar and common themes, international hyperlink permits scholars to speak optimistically and fluently. an entire package deal of supplementary fabrics motivates scholars and empowers lecturers to maximise lecture room time.
This publication bargains the 1st accomplished description of the prosody of 9 Romance languages that takes under consideration inner dialectal version. groups of specialists learn the prosody of Catalan, French, Friulian, Italian, Occitan, Portuguese, Romanian, Sardinian, and Spanish utilizing the Autosegmental Metrical framework of intonational phonology and the Tones and Breaks Indices (ToBI) transcription process.
Additional info for The Crosslinguistic Study of Language Acquisition: Volume 4
This child had minimal exposure to English; both parents are Estonian and always addressed the child in their native tongue. Osterreich (1977) is an unpublished dissertation on the development of loca tives in the speech of six children living in Canada who were learning Estonian as their first language. The children were followed from four to six months each at three- to seven-week intervals starting at ages ranging from 1; 10 to 2;6. Recordings of one and a half to two hours duration were made at each visit of the children interacting with the researcher, parents, siblings, and/or others.
Amazingly, the Estonian child, being faced with a three-way contrast, appears to gain control of this feature only slightly later than Finnish children differentiate the more simple two-way contrast in their language. Interestingly, the Hungarian child seems to be the last to gain control of this phonological feature. The possible reasons behind this differential rate of development will be explored below. During the time when the child is producing his or her first words, and throughout the one-word utterance period in general, data from all three languages show that the child’s productions do not necessarily correspond to the adult length contour of the words attempted.
Estonian, Finnish, and Hungarian Acquisition 21 TABLE 7 Stems of vesi-type Nominals Stem Stem Name Example vetevedevet- strong vowel stem weak vowel stem consonant stem veteen ‘water:ILL’ veden ‘water:GEN’ vetta ‘water:PARTIT’ Finnish nominals can be divided into two major groups: (1) those whose basic form (nominative singular) also serves as the inflectional stem in all cases, and (2) those whose basic form is supplemented by one or more inflectional stems to which specific cases are attached.